Located in Southern California, Oxnard is home to some of the richest agricultural area in the nation. It is nestled on the Oxnard Plain, which is a land with fertile soil. The city is a growing center of tourism and commerce. It is a multicultural city that maintains the small-town charm and hospitality. Did you know that Oxnard is the seventh richest cities in United States? Did you know Oxnard hosts the most popular festival- “California Strawberry Festival”, where millions of strawberries are consumed as strawberry beer, strawberry nachos, pizza, cakes and much more? Know more such interesting facts about Oxnard.
Image By Fettlemap (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Oxnard Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Oxnard is located in Southern California along the Pacific coastline.
- It is nestled approx 35 miles from Santa Barbara (south) and 60 miles from Los Angeles (northwest).
- It is the largest and the most populous city in Ventura County.
- It is the nineteenth most populous city in California.
- It stretches for more than 39.2miles and has over 20 miles of coastline covered with white sand.
- It is the centre for transportation in Southern California. The Union Pacific, Greyhound, Metrolink and Amtrak all have stops in Oxnard.
- The ethnic composition of Oxnard includes- White- 48.2%, African American- 2.9%, Native American- 1.5%, Asian-7.4%, Pacific Islander-0.3%, other races- 35.1%, and two or more races-4.6%.
Oxnard History Fast Facts
- The early inhabitants of the area where Oxnard is built were the Chumash Indians who were known for their fine basket work and plank canoes.
- In 1903, Oxnard was incorporated as a city in California.
- In 1907, the public library was opened.
- The city was named after Henry Oxnard and his two brothers- James Oxnard and Ben Oxnard.
- The city was a major producer of lima beans and strawberries.
Oxnard Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Oxnard follows council-manager type of government.
- It is a thriving center of tourism and industry, and commerce.
- Agriculture, manufacturing industries, electronic, defense and aerospace has also contributed to the growth and development of Oxnard.
- The city is one of the major manufacturing centers in the Greater LA area.
- Other major industries driving Oxnard’s economy are high tech industries, petroleum, finance and transportation.
- The city has been popular for many different crops over the years, including strawberries, lima beans, sugar beers and cucumbers.
Oxnard Important and Interesting Fast Facts
- Oxnard is nicknamed as “Gateway to the Channel Islands”.
- One of the popular festivals of the City of Oxnard is the “California Strawberry Festival” that attracts visitors from around the world.
- The city is home to 9 Major League Baseball players, 5 Championship Boxers and 8 NFL Football Players.
- As per Teschsio.com, Oxnard is the seventh richest cities in United States.
- It is one of the safest cities in United States according to Business Insider (2013).
- It is home to two active oil fields.
- Herzog Wine Cellars in Oxnard has the largest collection of kosher wines in the country.
- The city has two local farmer’s market- the Channel Island Farmer’s Market held on Sundays, and the Downtown Oxnard Farmer’s Market held on Thrusdays.
- The city is home to two naval bases- Point Mugu and Port Hueneme.